Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 4 (At Sea)

Day 4 (At Sea)

FIRST OFF I HAVE AN ADDITION TO DAY 3: I forgot to mention I did a bridge tour. This is where one gets to take a tour of the control center of the ship. Where the big giant wooden steering wheel would be if they still had that. This was overall a very cool experience, and I have pictures to show later. It was most exciting because the Captain of the Ship came in during this tour, which we were informed almost never happens unless he has something he must do. Well, he had to come in and consult with some of his team and I happened to get some really good photographs of this short appearance. Those photos will appear on my website later. Also, I happened to see the Captain walking down a hall on the ship and asked for a picture with him, which to my surprise he obliged. I will put that photo on the blog when I can!

The days are going by faster now that school is in session. My history class is not bad because I am somewhat of an amateur history buff. I added my third class today (Medical Anthropology), which I take with Samantha. Seems like it will be an interesting class in addition to the others. Other than that not too much happened.

However, I did have lunch with Gladys today along with a couple from Colorado. The wife is a Coordinator and the husband sort of patrols the ship as a community officer. He used to be on the police force for 20 some odd years in Colorado. We shared some interesting conversation between all of us. Gladys was pretty quiet today whilst enjoying her meal. But she did say one thing funny about Samantha and I…When the couple was talking about Sam and I being on the ship together Gladys remarked in a one shoulder shrugging kind of manner “They just wish they could room together hehehe.”

I missed dinner with Gladys tonight because she had told me she might not be able to make it. One of the waiters, Vic, was quick to inform me once I arrived at dinner that Gladys had been there at 5:30 like usual. And sadly, she ate alone. So from now on I will do my best to always be there with her. Not because I feel bad that she is alone, but because I sincerely enjoy her company and feel as though I can learn a lot from her.

Oh and I remembered I ask Gladys about something I forgot to mention. I asked her about people throwing their babies at you in foreign countries in order to steal from you. She informed that one time it happened to her. I asked her what she did when it happened, and not to my surprise she had a wonderful answer: She threw it back!

2 comments:

  1. This is so great. It's like the creative gods but gladys there for you! Be nice to the creative gods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! second post! :) i want to see pictures! soon! please. everything sounds great. glad you and Sam have a class together, at least... since you can't room together. lol at Gladys.

    ReplyDelete