Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 6 (At Sea)

So, Day 6, and we have lost a total of three hours. That is to say we are three hours ahead of Eastern Time. The rocking of the ship makes me that much more tired, as I feel like I am being put to sleep all the time.

Got up on time today. WAHOO. Not only did I make my 8AM class, but also I had time for a breakfast. And a good one at that: OJ, Ham and Cheese omelet, and coffee. First class went well, I really like the history of Mediterranean civilizations.

I made it to lunch before Gladys today, which was a first. It went really well today. She was wearing a red pantsuit with dolphins on her red blouse. Way to rock it Gladys! Today, seriously put into perspective some things for Sam and I. It is truly amazing how “with it” Gladys is, at correction 89 years young. She explained this card trick to me and I could barely follow what she laying out for me. We are going to play some cards tonight at dinner and I am also going to learn some tricks. Found out she has an 80 something year old cousin whom she plays cards with back home. This really made me happy to learn she has someone at home. I shared some photos from home with her today, i.e. my family, my pets, and a few other things. She seemed to really enjoy the photographs.

Again, I just want stress how clear her mind is, and not just because of her age. She has a perfect mind, a beautiful mind. Her memory is so in tack and she never stutters when she thinks. I just find this absolutely astonishing.

Forgot to mention before lunch I met with someone. Last night there was an optional lecture on dining out in Spain from someone who has been going since the 60’s. His lecture was not just super informative, it was also fun! After the lecture I spoke with him about a few things. When in Spain I am traveling to San Sebastian to go to the number three restaurant in the world, Mugaritz, and I wanted to inform him of this. In addition, I wanted to know more about the delicacies in Spain. He told me to try Angulas or tiny baby eels complete with the eye and everything. Hoping to get to try that! Also, Percebes or barnacles that look like crunchy fingers, which you rip the crunchy end off and suck out the insides. Sounds interesting. Anyway, when I told him where I was going he knew I was a foodie and his jaw sort of dropped. When I asked him where to eat in Barcelona he told me to print off his list of restaurants recommended and meet up with him today to decide where to go.

So, today we met up in the library. He was super nice and helpful. He made a reservation for a restaurant in Spain, Arola. I will be posting pictures from all the restaurants and also the menu.

Tonight we went to dinner and met Gladys as usual. After dinner we had decided to play cards, and Gladys wanted to show me some tricks. Wow, I had so much fun with her, and I have created such a bond with her. Tonight she really opened up, I saw a side of Gladys I had not yet seen. We played cards for three and a half hours! Mind you, normally we talk for maybe twenty to twenty-five minutes after dinner. She taught Sam, Lauren (Sam’s roommate), and I three different cards games, and two amazing tricks. Again, I cannot believe how good her mind is; she was not only able to play for that length of time, but also able to teach us how to do it all. That is really amazing.

When she took her cards out of her walker or as she likes to call it sometimes “chariot”, they are housed in crocheted little plastic square boxes made by Gladys. They are really something else, beautiful little works of art. After playing for such a length of time the waiters that usually help her back to her room were gone. So, I grabbed her chariot, held the front, and away we went to her room. When we got there she told us to come in and see the room. And boy was it something spectacular.

Her room did not look like something that could be found on a cruise ship, it looked like a little home. She became that sort of older person we all love that loves to show off her things. This seemed out of character for Gladys, so I was elated. Crochet works were everywhere of all colors, from blankets to crocheted coasters. When she told me to go in her bathroom I was a little perplexed, but upon entering it was beautiful. She has covered her entire bathroom floor with this plastic material she crochets on (the same thing she used as the base for the card holders), thus making an extremely beautiful floor. Pictures to come, yes I took a few. Her room is amazing; I can only imagine what her home looks like.

When I went to leave I knew just how close we had become, she has now and forever will have a spot in my heart. As I left she leaned over and gave me the biggest hug. This is the kind of the thing I will take away from a journey like this. Sure the school gives me knowledge, and the places I see will be spectacular, moving even, but forming a bond like this is life changing, and it puts a lot into perspective. Forming a friendship with Gladys has allowed me to have a sense of clarity.

5 comments:

  1. Your writting is incredible!

    MISS YOU SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay....but was the omelet as good as mine??LOL! Gladys sounds like the character in "Titanic!" You & Sam need to teach her Rats ass & 2500!! What an experience! The Percebes sound like New Orleans "mud bugs!" Have a great time! Love you guys, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie asked me to this for her

    Thank you for allowing us to go on this journey with you I feel like I am read a Nicholas sparks book it is so awesome. I cannot wait for you next update and of course to see all the photos while in port. Have fun and be safe! Love you both. Jackie Cole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I love this post. I wish Sam had a blog, too! Please tell her I miss her. I'm so excited for all the food you are going to get to try. The Spanish delicacies sound so interesting... eel and barnacles... yum! You know I'm not joking. I am buzzing about seeing pictures. Please take lots! The more I hear about Gladys, the more I want to know. I think that I would absolutely adore her. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you are describing when you mention the crocheted plastic square boxes. My grandmother used to make them. Can't wait to see the pics! It is so very Chandler of you to have already formed this great relationship with her. I know you appreciate the bond more than anything. It pulls at my heartstrings... <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think u need to ask her to teach u how to crochet!! Lol Really, then u could teach me. I love u!!!

    ReplyDelete