Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 9

Day 9 (At Sea)

So I obviously did not posts days seven or eight. Things have just been super busy. Plus, not too much happened on those days. On day seven we played cards with Gladys for 4.5 hours. It was so much fun, and she continues to amaze me with her ability to remember things so well.

Here are some hilarious things she has said over the past couple of days:

When talking about Sam and I eating from the same plate she said, “That’s what you call togetherness”

And then remarked, “shower with a friend, but don’t drop the soap”

She told a hilarious story of when she was younger and had a male friend over at her mother’s house. Basically, you had to really jiggle the lever to flush the toilet so it wouldn’t run over. Her friend went upstairs to use the bathroom and upon returning her mom asked, “Did you shake it?” The man misinterpreted the question and became red as a lobster. Gladys just loves to tell that story!

One day I was telling her about all the dolphins we were seeing and how cool it was. She told me one time she was on a cruise and there was a whale. A whale that got stuck in the rudder and engine. When I asked her if she saw the whale, she just looked up from her food and in a real nonchalant manner said, “No, just lots of blood, blood everywhere”

Also, Gladys sometimes has to burp during meals, as all of us do. Today at breakfast she had to a lot. She told me that, “It’s better to let it up and bear the shame, then keep it down and bear the pain.”

It has also been super rough over the past couple of days. This is because we were going through the straits of Gibraltar. This is the eight-mile wide waterway between Morocco and Spain. This is how you get in the Mediterranean, and today we bunkered, or refueled near the rock of Gibraltar. You have all probably seen it, I believe it is in some insurance commercial or something. It is absolutely astonishing! Beautiful!

Okay so it is actually day ten now. I know I have been a bad blogger, but I am getting better at this. Tomorrow is Spain! YAY. Lots of updates to come!

Oh, and that “guy” I mentioned who helped me with Spain, he is not just guy. His name is David Geis, and he absolutely loves Spain. He has been a dean at the Unversity of Virginia and been awarded best professor their! And also the King of Spain has knighted him!!!! Yeah, the King!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment