Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 5 (At Sea)

Woke up late today! Missed class at 8 AM, probably because time went ahead another hour last night. Urg! Lucky for me though my professor apparently forgot to take roll today. My global studies class was not too bad today. I learned in the movie “Troy” the actor playing Brad Pitt’s cousin was not historically really his cousin, but rather his boyfriend, but apparently Hollywood could not handle that.
Lunch with Gladys at 11:30: Went really well today. Food was good (sweet and sour pork), which she and I both loved and also had some chocolate cake, which we both loved. When I took out my laptop on the table at lunch she said “You really think that is good idea? You might spill something…” Even though I initially said I need to work on something I never did get on the laptop and put it away. Why? Because the first day I met Gladys, the first lunch we had together, I knocked over my sweet tea and it almost went in her lap. She helped me clean it up that day though.
After we finished eating we had some quick chit chat before my class like usual. I told her of some of my plans in Spain and she did seem interested. She gave me some good tips too. Such as don’t lose my passport, but if someone puts a knife to my throat I should just give it to them. We also talked about how much money I need, student loans, jobs (again) and the unlikelihood of getting a good one or one at all. On the ship women are about three to one with men students. About 74% women students. Gladys told me how it never used to be like that, and how men used to always be the dominating sex. But now, women have the same jobs and can make more than men and often do, and Gladys made that clear to me.
I do not even have a picture of Gladys yet, and if I did I could not upload it because I am on the ship. So, let me give a picture of how Gladys appears. She uses a walker to get around (at 88 I would be grateful not being in a wheel chair or better yet six feet under) and she is tall, especially for a woman of her age. She had to have shrunk some and she hunches over a little bit. Even with that in mind she appears to be around 5’7” give or take an inch or so, either which way. She always wears actual attire, I mean no gowns or anything of that sort. Usually some soft looking khakis and a nice striped blouse or a soft green sweater adorned with her lanyard that shows her name. Time has been a friend to Gladys as she does not appear to be her age (88), and though her skin is somewhat pale, it is beautiful. She does not have the tiny little hands so many older women have, and she lacks the age spots many people her age have on their hands. Her hair is obviously all whitish grey, and she keeps it extremely short. I always thought Leonardo was on to something when he stated “Eyes were the window to the soul”, but I never really knew what it meant, I never really saw eyes that portrayed someone’s soul. Gladys has those eyes, those that seem to grab one’s attention and reveal so much from the past, from her soul.
Not to much happened between that and dinner, other than a much needed nap!
Dinner was especially good tonight. Really good fried fish. Gladys was quiet tonight during dinner. I tried to talk to her about music, but could not seem to find any artists she liked. Any suggestions from those who are reading this? Vic accidently brought her the chicken and she wanted the after I told her how good it was, so she sent it back and got her fish. For desert Vic told her it was “Fruit Jello”, after inquiring what kind of jello again she decided that was she wanted. But not just the fruit jello with whip cream on top, she also wanted milk in it. I know seems strange, right? That is what I thought, but when Vic brought her the milky jello I decided I should also try it, so I asked Vic if I could have the same. He obliged, and to my surprise jello with milk, not half bad!

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting fact about the movie Troy! Also, I can't wait to see a picture of Gladys! I know I've been bugging you about pictures, and you can't put any up until port, but your description of her made me even more interested. I've always understood that eyes are the windows to the soul. They tell so much if only you know what to look for. Suggestions for music... you mean current artists or artists she would have listened to in her youth? Just inquire as to what genre she likes most and go from there... most almost 90 year old ladies would like Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, but that's very basic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As her if she likes Russ Armstrong, Montovontie (sure I spelled that wrong), Herb Alpert & the The Tijuana Brass, Harry Bellafonit, Nat King Cole, or Tony Bennett. OMG...... I'm really showing my age.

    Nice imaginary image of Gladys

    ReplyDelete